Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Pesto!

I have had an overabundance of basil in my garden this year and was reflecting on what to do it when my mother in-law wisely gave me the answer . . . "PESTO!"



I simply take a large bunch of leaves and shove them into my small food processor along with enough oil to get it to mix, a small handful of parmesan cheese, a small handful of pine nuts or pecans and salt to taste.



It can last for a month in the refrigerator if taken care of properly. The trick is to always have a layer of olive oil on the top. This oil layer keeps it from being exposed to the oxygen and turning brown. Each time after use I pour a new layer of olive oil.



Pesto has so many great uses. It taste great as the main sauce for pasta, I use it as a marinade for grilled vegetables. My husband has commented on how much he likes it on eggplant and zucchini -- I coat the vegetables with pesto right before I put them on the grill and then I drizzle a little raspberry balsamic vinegar on them right before serving.



As a marinade on grilled fish or chicken it is just delightful -- I usually add a little pear balsamic or raspberry balsamic vinegar as well.



Adding vinegar and a little more olive oil also makes a great salad dressing.

No comments: